oase.surf - surfers world

Zurück   [oaseforum.de] > Spezielles > Reisen und Spots

Reisen und Spots Rund um die Themen Reisen und Spots.

Antwort    « Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »  

Themen-Optionen Ansicht
Alt 29.09.2011, 11:40   #1
ola454
Benutzer

Standard Neue kitesurf spots: Sao Vicente, Kapverden

I hope you do not mind if I write this in english (my written german is terrible!)

We (I'm from Poland, Marc is from Holland) set up a kitesurf center on Sao Vicente (one of the Cape Verde islands).

Wind is super consistent. The orientation of the beaches is such that with the trade winds coming from N-NE early and late in the windy season and NE in the middle of the windy season, we have a long period of useable wind from the start of October to beyond the end of June. The statistics from windguru 2008 & 2009 (confirmed in the 2010/2011season when we measure on the beach) are very impressive.
We measure useable wind as % of time during the day (not night) with 11-25 knots in a good direction (cross-shore or cross-onshore). Here they are:
October 92%
November 99%
December 96%
January 87%
February 96%
March 85%
April 97%
May 99%
June 95%
The exception to these statistics is when we have a global weather change that affects the trade winds. The one that impacts Sao Vicente is La Nina during the fall/winter/spring (this happened in the October 2009 – February 2010 but is not predicted to come back soon).

There are more than 6 kitesurf spots all within a max of 30min drive of eachother with varying conditions (wind from left/right, waves smaller/bigger, waves breaking left/right). Although we do have small areas with flat water (including one where you can stand), the only limitation of Sao Vicente is that we do not have a very large area with flat water without swell where you can stand knee to waist deep. We have our center on Salamansa which is a large bay with sandy beach, no coral, no beach break, al little flat water area upwind and a point break at the far (upwind) end of the bay.

What’s also worth mentioning: it’s a beautiful island with a super fun city: Mindelo.

Flights from Germany are with TUI connecting in Sal with one of the local airlines: TACV / Halcyon for the 40min hop to Sao Vicente.

If you want more information, please contact us or visit our website on: www.kitesurfnow.de
ola454 ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 29.09.2011, 12:33   #2
ola454
Benutzer

Standard

Sorry I forgot:

Apart from the TUI flights via Sal (from Hamburg, Frankfurt, Köln-Bonn, Hannover, Stuttgart, München) there are flights via Amsterdam starting with Easyjet from Berlin and via Lisbon with TAP from Hamburg, Frankfurt and München).

All the flight info can be requested from our website.
Alt 30.09.2011, 12:13   #3
snazzy
Benutzer

Standard

hello,

Since I don't want to take any lessons I'd like to know if you also offer kitestorage (incl. rescue) and any transfer from the accommodation to the kitebeach?
Moreover, is it possible and recommendable to travel from Sal to Sao Vicente by ferry?

Thanks
snazzy ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 30.09.2011, 16:41   #4
ola454
Benutzer

Standard

Zitat:
Zitat von snazzy Beitrag anzeigen
hello,

Since I don't want to take any lessons I'd like to know if you also offer kitestorage (incl. rescue) and any transfer from the accommodation to the kitebeach?
Moreover, is it possible and recommendable to travel from Sal to Sao Vicente by ferry?

Thanks
Yes we do offer safe storage and offer rescue (2 boats for the super small center we are!). For tranfers: we can and would love to (to earn hard needed extra money ) but to be honest it's much cheaper to just get on a bus for 1-2 euros or aluguer (van) for a bit more. They drive on a regular basis between Mindelo (most hotels & appartments are in the city) and Salamansa (where out kitesurf center is).

For advanced riders we also rent out wave boards and we organize trips (downwinder to a fantastic secret spot ; trip and overnight stay at an uninhabited neigbouring island).

If you are sporty: we also rent out mountain bikes (some folks prefer to cycle from Mindelo to Salamansa and enjoy the sceneries on the way)

The only lines between Sal and Sao Vicente are by plane for a return ticket of about 120 euros (but a lot less if you book your whole flight from Germany with an agent like www.Flycaboverde.net (best to call them on +31 10 2410261)
Alt 30.09.2011, 17:03   #5
ShortSqueeze
Benutzer

Standard

is the transport of the kitebags in the small planes a problem ?
ShortSqueeze ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 30.09.2011, 17:30   #6
ola454
Benutzer

Standard

Zitat:
Zitat von ShortSqueeze Beitrag anzeigen
is the transport of the kitebags in the small planes a problem ?
No it's not a problem. As you can imagine we take a lot of materials with us on the flights and never had a problem.

In fact the TACV policy for kitesurf materials is not bad. You do not pay for the oversized (golf-type) bag unless you take more than 30kg. The only snag to that is when you need to change from TACV to another local airline called Halcyon. Halcyon has a 20kg policy so I had to pay extra once (but it was not a huge amount).

For most folks staying within 20kg is feasible (it's comfortable with shorts day and night and you can either kitesurf with shorts or shorty so you do not need a lot of clothing).
Antwort