oase.surf - surfers world

Zurück   [oaseforum.de] > Hauptbereich > Kitesurfen

Kitesurfen Achtung: Bitte Vorgaben beachten!

Antwort    « Vorheriges Thema | Nächstes Thema »  

Themen-Optionen Ansicht
Alt 18.11.2009, 16:51   #1
Snake Hunter
Benutzer

Standard KPWT Super event and Course racing- result and winner interview

KPWT Super event and Course racing- result and winner interview
Mention Brazil and most people think Samba, Supermodels and the Rio Carnival. While the KPWT Super-event In Cumbuco might not have had the huge crowds of the Rio Carnival it certainly it's fair share of dancing, celebration and supermodels- if the results are to be believed the 2010 line-up from Best is full of 'super models'...
Last week saw Best riders winning both the Men's and Women's KPWT Course racing events, In the Women's event Best riders managed to top and tail the podium with Nayara Licariao (BRA, BEST) gaining first place overall and Kriss Kinn (US, BEST) taking third place.
We managed to catch up with Men's winner Pedro Carvalho to ask him a few questions.
Rider Name: Pedro Montenegro Carvalho
When did you start kitesurfing?
I started kiteboarding around the end of 2006.
What got you into the sport?
I was already heavily into wind-surfing, ever since i was about 10 years old, so it was a natural progression for me.
Do you do any other sports?
Yes of course, whenever I can fit them in. I do a little bit of water skiing and wakeboarding, naturally I surf when the conditions are good and when none of these are possible I do a little bit of Moto-X.
What do you do when you aren't kiting, how do you relax?
When I'm not kiting, i take my time to study. I'm a full time student so my schedule is pretty hectic.
Where is your favourite kitesurfing spot?
I like too much, Sao Miguel do Gostoso RN, Tarifa in Spain is an excellent spot, Joao Pessoa PB (my home spot). There is no such thing as a bad spot, if the wind is blowing they are all good.
Did you start racing straight as soon as you started kitesurfing?
Yes, i actually switched race from course racing in windsurfing straight into kitesurfing, it was the racing that attracted me.
What is the attraction about course racing?
I love competition. For me Course racing is the freedom to compete in kitesurfing. It's pure like GPS Speed-sailing, the fastest wins, there is no interpretation, it's simple and honest.
Is course racing better than Freestyle? Why?
Yes, for sure racing is a lot better than freestyle. Course racing we can do anywhere at any time. There are no set conditions for wind or water, racing just needs that the riders want to compete. I think it's more open ended than Freestyle in that respect. So from 6.5kn to 35 - 40 knots we will race!!!!! And if Course racing make sit to the Olympics I'm sure that the numbers of riders will be at least triple compared to what we have today!
Freestyle 'can' be spectacular, but you have to know the tricks to make sense of the competition. In Course racing everyone understands first man over the line wins- it's beautiful and simple.
Tell us about 'your' KPWT event in Brazil. We've read the KPWT press release, but how was it for you?
For me it was a very hard stage here in Brazil. There was a very competitive line-up with all the big names being present Bruno, Abel, and many other riders were all there. Up until now I'd been at a disadvantage competing on last years kites, they had the power but not the upwind ability of the 2010 Waroos. With my new equipment I felt like I could defeat them.
During the PKRA event in August I knew I couldn't beat Bruno on the 09 kites, he was just too fast, this time round the balance was in my favour, with better upwind potential and less drag from the new Waroo I really knew anything was possible.
How did you feel knowing that you had to win the 3rd race to win the event, did that make the racing extra competitive?
A little, since the first race i knew that I had to beat Bruno. After the second race he protested against me, and if the protest was upheld he would have won by default. I was compromised by the finish line buoy, and that's the why he lost the protest against me. I was prepared to win all 3 races, but on the downwind leg Bruno passed me because I was under power (9 meter Waroo 2010) , and Bruno was using a 11 meter crossbow, and that's the only reason why he passed me, but if was with he's same size kite, I'm very sure that i has won all 3 races.
Equipment choice, what works for you and why?
I like my board because my coach and shaper are developing it with me. Every race we are making subtle changes and improvements, some advance the basic design, others are just race tuning for different conditions. Everything we learn about how it handles goes into helping make a faster, better board for next season.
Fins-
Hugo also makes my fins too, we use 2 pairs of fins, for less wind , and other pair to moderate - strong wind.
Bar-
I like the best bars very much, it's comfortable and easy to use, but one thing that cold be better is the de-power, throw, there's just too much of it, my arms aren't that long!
Harness-
Currently I'm using a Truzz harness, www.truzz.com.br They are a Brazilian brand and it's good to be flying the flag.
Kites-
The new Waroo is the best kite that I've have used for racing, last year i was racing with the Nemesis HP. That's a great kite, but it just doesn't go upwind the same way as the Waroo. You had to drive it upwind, the new Waroo drags you upwind, it's different. Course racing is not just about the upwind leg and I like the downwind drift the Waroo has, you can be aggressive sending it deep into the window to maximize pull. It manages both legs equally well.
Rumour has it that you only received your 2010 Waroos a day or two before the event. Obviously it didn't take you long to dial them in despite having raced on the Nemesis last year.
It's true, I only received my new Waroos the day before I left for the event, so I had no time to practice on them at all. I took a huge gamble on them based solely on the fact that I trust Poli, the Brazilian Best Rep, so much. He said they were the best upwind kite he'd ridden- and he was right, the results speak for themselves. I found it any easy kite to get to grips with, it has that typical Best feeling.
What makes the Waroo such a good race kite for you?
This is going to sound like an advert, but what can I say, it just flies upwind, it's the perfect upwind kite for the way I ride, little drag, light at the bar. The HP was just too much at the bar, you had to fight it, and beat the other competitors to win on it, with the 2010 Waroo all I have to do is race.
Is the Waroo the only kite you use for racing and free-riding?
Yes, I'm using only one model this season, there's no need for anything else, it does it all.
What other sponsors do you have?
Conserpa, Xtreme Boards and Truzz
What sponsors would you like?
Any sponsor is a good sponsor, it's be great to have Red Bull and Oakley, that's the big ticket. Realistically for now Best are great, my other sponsors are excellent- I could always do with an Airline to help with the travel, doesn't Richard Branson ride Best, can you hook me up with Virgin, that'd be cool.
Race results below.
Race One:
Men
1. Bruno Sroka (FRA, CABRINHA)
2. Pedro Carvalho (BRA, BEST)
3. Julien Kerner (FRA, TAKOON)
Race Two:
Men
1. Pedro Carvalho (BRA, BEST)
2. Bruno Sroka (FRA, CABRINHA)
3. Julien Kerner (FRA, TAKOON)
Race Three